Gatherings are very important to my family, so we have lots of recipes that are favorites. My grandma introduced these cookies into the family a long time ago. The memory of her and these cookies go together!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be moist).
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies in Reminisce Extra July 2008, p53
Reviews for Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review