- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm buttermilk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon softened butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water until foamy. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup butter, egg, sugar, salt and yeast mixture, then add 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth, 1 minute. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 20 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush rolls lightly with remaining buttermilk and butter. Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack; serve warm. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Soft Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
"Really nice rolls with a shaft crust, and moist and light inside. I made 12 sandwich sized rolls rather than dinner rolls, otherwise, no alterations. Will make these again"
"shannondobos - how did you incorporate the butter? Is it melted or cut up into small pieces?"
"@soshapiro - I cut it up into very small pieces, and since you use softened butter I found that although it didn't fully incorporate into the buttermilk mixture when the recipe directs you to combine them, it did blend right into the dough when you added the flour and beat it all together. Good luck!These are a nice change from the rolls I usually make. They rose beautifully and were so soft. The buttermilk gives them a little bit of a sourdough-like flavor, but only slightly. These were super simple to make using my stand-mixer, too. 5 stars for sure!"