- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, Italian seasoning, coarse salt and/or shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the oil, salt, whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 14 portions. Roll each portion into a 9-in. x 1-in. rope. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes or until doubled.
- Whisk egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 14 breadsticks.
Originally published as Soft Breadsticks in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p37
Reviews for Soft Breadsticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review