Soft Bread Twists Recipe
My family loves eating these zesty bread twists with a spaghetti supper. Soft and light as a feather, they have a perfect balance of garlic and oregano. Be sure to snatch one before passing them around the table.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce or salsa, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, egg, oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 4 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Beat 3 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Do not punch down. Divide dough into eight pieces. Combine cornmeal and oregano; sprinkle over work surface. Roll each piece of dough in cornmeal mixture and shape into a 15-in.-long rope. Cut each rope into three pieces. Twist each piece and place on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes. Combine garlic powder and remaining salt. Immediately brush twists with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic powder mixture. Serve with pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 178 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC