- Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly
- floured surface; divide and shape into eight balls. Roll each into a
- 14-in. rope; twist into a pretzel shape.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop
- pretzels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook 30 seconds. Remove
- with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk
- egg yolk and water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire
- rack to cool. Yield: 8 pretzels.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pretzels in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each pretzel on high 20-30 seconds or until heated through.
To Make Traditional-Shaped Pretzels: Divide and shape dough into eight balls; roll each into a 24-in. rope. Curve ends of rope to form a circle; twist ends once and lay over opposite side of circle, pinching ends to seal. Boil, top and bake as directed. Yield: 8 pretzels. To Make Pretzel Bites: Divide and shape into eight balls; roll each into a 12-in. rope. Cut each rope into 1-in. pieces. Boil and top as directed; bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pretzel (calculated without coarse salt) equals 288 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 604 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.