Soft Beer Pretzels Recipe
What goes together better than beer and pretzels? Not much that I can think of. That’s why I put them together into one delicious recipe. I'm always looking for new ways to combine fun flavors and this pretzel certainly fits the bill. —Alyssa Wilhite, Whitehouse, Texas
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) amber beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat beer to 110°-115°; remove from heat. Stir in yeast until dissolved. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into eight balls. Roll each into a 24-in. rope. Curve ends of each rope to form a circle; twist ends once and lay over opposite side of circle, pinching ends to seal.
- 4. In a Dutch oven, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- 5. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water; brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
- 6. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pretzels in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each pretzel on high 20-30 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 8 pretzels.
1 pretzel (calculated without coarse salt) equals 288 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 604 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC