Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Blend in molasses and egg. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; add to creamed mixture. Mix until well blended.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Roll balls in remaining sugar. Place on greased baking sheets. Press flat with a fork. Bake at 350° about 10-12 minutes or until set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 180 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
"Nice cookie. Delicate and yummy. I love this as my Mom is diabetic and it doesn't have a lot of sugar if you use a sugar substitute. She has been missing the taste of Molasses and now I have a way to provide it to her without upping her sugar. Thank you for sharing."
"These cookies were just that, soft and chewy. Unfortunately a little TOO soft and chewy. Too much butter I think. I love my molasses cookies soft, but these ones were so dense that they literally fell apart when I picked them up. I left them sit out on the counter all night and they were still just as soft and mushy the next day. I did the recipe just as given so I'm not certain why they turned out that way. Like I said, they tasted great! But were just to mushy to hold up."
"The recipe says soft and chewy. The first day they are but the next day (even in put in an air tight container) they are as hard as a rock and I baked them only 10 mins."
"don't know what happened, these cookies spread out way too much and looked nothing like the ones in the photo"
"My husband loves molasses cookies and has been wanting some for quite awhile. All I could find were molasses cookies that were not soft and chewy, but would come out crispy instead. These cookies are just what he has been wanting! I will be baking them again soon!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!"
"This recipe is very easy to make. Instead of using all-purpose flour and baking soda, I used self-rising flour. The cookies are delicious and I plan to make them again for my family."