Soft 'n' Chewy Caramels
This candy is a "must" at our house for Christmas. We raised four children on nutritious meals made of simple ingredients. Now I enjoy making special treats like this for the grandkids.Darlene Edinger, Turtle Lake, North Dakota
54-60 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; butter the foil. Set aside. In a
- Dutch oven, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup cream. Bring to
- a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in
- remaining cream. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer
- reads 250° (hard-ball stage), stirring frequently. Remove from
- the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until well mixed, about 5
- Pour into prepared pan. Cool. Remove foil from pan; cut candy into
- 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield:
- 2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 79 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.