Soda Cracker Chocolate Candy
"My husband and I make several batches of this easy, chocolaty nut squares for holiday gifts," notes Margery Bryan of Royal City, Washington. "Most people are surprised to learn the recipe includes soda crackers."
Married for 22 years, the couple recently retired and sold their ranch. Both love to cook.
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 35 to 40 soda crackers
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with foil and coat with
- cooking spray. Place crackers in rows on foil. In a saucepan, melt
- butter; add the brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour over crackers and spread until completely covered. Bake at
- 350° for 5 minutes (crackers will float). Remove from the oven.
- Turn oven off. Sprinkle chocolate chips and walnuts over crackers.
- Return to the oven until chocolate is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; using a greased spatula, press walnuts into
- chocolate. Cut into 1 in. squares while warm. Cool completely;
- remove candy from foil. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 173 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.