So-Sweet Squash Pickles Recipe
These crisp crunchy slices, seasoned with celery seed and mustard seed, have a sweet-sour taste that everyone is sure to relish! The colorful blend of yellow squash, sweet red pepper and chopped onion makes a beautiful presentation. -Eleanor Sundman Farmington, Connecticut
- 3 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the squash, onion, red pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour; drain.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 3. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for at least 4 days before serving. May be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Yield: 4 cups.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 127 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 888 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC