So-Good Pilaf Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add the barley, rice and bulgur; saute 3 minutes longer.
- 2. Add the broth, wine, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the grains are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, almonds and chilies. Serve immediately over spinach if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.