So-Good Pilaf Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in butter until tender. Add the barley, rice and bulgur; saute 3 minutes longer.
- Add the broth, wine, sage and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the grains are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, almonds and chilies. Serve immediately over spinach if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for So-Good Pilaf(3)
Sort By :
Love this recipe. It is definitely a good one to introduce other grains into our diet. I skip the almonds as we are not nut eaters, and I don't recommend the vegetable broth; use chicken broth as it is much better.
I liked this recipe for it's great health benefits but it did take longer to cook than indicated.
This is wonderful, especially if you can let it sit for a short while to mix the flavors before serving :)
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >