So-Easy Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, seasonings and beef mixture.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: about 2-1/4 quarts.
3/4 cup (calculated without spaghetti and cheese) equals 125 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.