Snowman Party Stew
Youngsters will dig right into this playful potato-topped pie, loaded with ground beef and vegetables. The dashing details are easy to add after baking.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew, divided
- 1 can (10-1/4 ounces) beef gravy
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with a small amount of milk)
- 16 whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Remove 24 peas and one carrot chunk from the stew vegetables; set
- aside. Add the remaining vegetables to beef. Cook until vegetables
- are thawed. Add gravy; mix well.
- Pour into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Top with eight mashed potato
- snowmen, using 1 tablespoon of potatoes for each head and 3
- tablespoons for each body. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, cut the reserved carrot into eight
- strips. Insert one strip into each snowman for a nose. Place three
- reserved peas on each for buttons. Add peppercorns for eyes. Drizzle
- ketchup between head and body to form a scarf. Yield: 6-8
Editor's Note: If serving small children, remove the peppercorns.