- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate frosting
- AirHeads Xtremes sour belt candies, rainbow chip crunch sprinkles and milk chocolate M&M's
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. snowman cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies; pipe chocolate frosting onto hats. Cut belt candies into pieces and attach for scarves; use sprinkles for faces and M&M's for buttons. Let stand until frosting is set. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Snowman Butter Cutouts
"WAY too hard to work with! Tossed the whole batch of dough since cutting out the cookies proved impossible. Wet and sticky! A huge waste of time and money. Plus, why has the name been changed from when it appeared in the magazine, where it was called Frosted Butter Cutouts? Slightly frustrating."
"i changed it to dreidels and stars since i am jewish thankyou nancy"
"Just like grandma used to make"