I have fond memories of baking and frosting these cutout cookies with my mom. Now I carry on the tradition with my kids. It's a messy but fun day!—Sandy Nace, Greensburg, Kansas
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate frosting
- AirHeads Xtremes sour belt candies, rainbow chip crunch sprinkles and milk chocolate M&M's
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. snowman cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies; pipe chocolate frosting onto hats. Cut belt candies into pieces and attach for scarves; use sprinkles for faces and M&M's for buttons. Let stand until frosting is set. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Snowman Butter Cutouts in Cookies & Bars Holiday 2012 2012, p8
Reviews for Snowman Butter Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review