Bring some of winter's wonder indoors with shaped butter cookies that get their sparkle from edible glitter. These cookie ornaments are great favors for your trim-a-tree party guests. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Edible glitter, sprinkles or coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using a plastic straw, make a hole about 1/2 in. from the top of each cookie. Using small decorating cutters, cut out desired shapes to create designs in snowflakes.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until set. Use straw to reopen holes in cookies. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining portions, using 4- and 5-in. cutters. Bake 4-in. cookies, 6-7 minutes; bake 5-in. cookies, 8-10 minutes.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and enough water to reach desired consistency. Brush over snowflakes; sprinkle with glitter. Let stand at least 5 minutes or until set.
- Thread ribbon through the holes. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Snowflake and Icicle Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p107
Reviews for Snowflake Ornament Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review