Snowcapped Gingerbread Biscotti Recipe
This recipe is one of my favorites to add to my holiday cookie trays. The cookies blend the great flavor of gingerbread and biscotti, plus a "snow"-dipped decoration. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, melted
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, allspice and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in hazelnuts and ginger.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into two 10-in. x 3-in. logs. Transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- 4. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets. Bake for 7-9 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 5. Dip biscotti halfway into melted butterscotch chips; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper until set. Dip butterscotch-coated ends partially into melted vanilla chips; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 226 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC