This comforting casserole goes over well at church fellowships and family gatherings. I often double the recipe.Frances Johnson, Bear Creek, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, salt and
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Top with eight
- mounds of mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with
- paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until
- potatoes are browned. Yield: 4 servings.
To cook potatoes for mashing, peel and cut into chunks. Place in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 15-30 minutes or until tender. Drain well and mash. One large potato will yield about 1 cup mashed potatoes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 463 calories,