Snowcapped Butternut Squash
I first prepared this side dish in my high school home economics class. The cool sour cream sauce makes it irresistible, even to those people who usually don't care for squash. —Karen Peterson-Johnson, Salt Lake City, Utah
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash pepper
- Additional dill weed, optional
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. remove from the
- heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, dill and pepper. Drain squash and
- transfer to a serving bowl; top with sauce. Sprinkle with additional
- dill if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 176 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.