I first prepared this side dish in my high school home economics class. The cool sour cream sauce makes it irresistible, even to those people who usually don't care for squash. —Karen Peterson-Johnson, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Dash pepper
- Additional dill weed, optional
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, salt, dill and pepper. Drain squash and transfer to a serving bowl; top with sauce. Sprinkle with additional dill if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Snowcapped Butternut Squash in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p73
Reviews for Snowcapped Butternut Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review