I've been making these popular treats for 40 years, much to my family's delight. They look impressive with chocolate and coconut wrapped around a chewy marshmallow center, yet they're surprisingly simple to assemble.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 32 squares)
- 3-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 32 to 35 large marshmallows
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, milk, cocoa and vanilla.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is
- smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in cracker crumbs and 1-1/2 cups
- coconut. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Using moistened hands, wrap about 1 tablespoon of mixture around each
- marshmallow (dip hands in water often to prevent sticking). Roll in
- remaining coconut; place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and freeze
- until firm. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or
- freezer. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 145 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.