My family and friends like a nice pick-me-up dessert after a big holiday meal. These feather-light morsels fit the bill perfectly. To make 6 dozen cookies, or to make them easier to ship, skip the Nutella and dust with cocoa instead. — Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #96 star tip. Transfer meringue to the bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- Remove meringues from paper. Spread Nutella on the bottoms of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Snow-Puffed Meringues in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p46
Reviews for Snow-Puffed Meringues
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2012
"The yield is misleading. It's ~3 dozen meringues, but only half that if you put them together into sandwich cookies."