Snow-Puffed Meringues Recipe
My family and friends like a nice pick-me-up dessert after a big holiday meal. These feather-light morsels fit the bill perfectly. To make 6 dozen cookies, or to make them easier to ship, skip the Nutella and dust with cocoa instead. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 225°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- 3. Place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a #1M open star tip. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-rosettes onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4. Bake until firm to the touch, 45-50 minutes. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- 5. Remove meringues from parchment paper. Pipe or spread Nutella onto bottoms of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 sandwich cookie: 40 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Snow-Puffed Meringues
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC