Snow-Puffed Meringues Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 225°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in confectioners' sugar.
- 3. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #96 star tip. Transfer meringue to the bag. Pipe 1-1/2-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 45-50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets.
- 5. Remove meringues from paper. Spread Nutella on the bottoms of half the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 sandwich cookie: 39 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch
Reviews for Snow-Puffed Meringues
"The yield is misleading. It's ~3 dozen meringues, but only half that if you put them together into sandwich cookies."