Snow Flurries Recipe
Star-shaped sandwich cookies look simply stunning when displayed on Christmas cookie trays or packaged as gifts. The crisp shortbread pairs perfectly with the jam filling. —Mary Ann Ludwig, Edwardsville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:78 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. To assemble, place 1/4 teaspoon apricot jam in the center of a cookie; top with another cookie, making sure all star points are visible. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Repeat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 60 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC