Star-shaped sandwich cookies look simply stunning when displayed on Christmas cookie trays or packaged as gifts. The crisp shortbread pairs perfectly with the jam filling. —Mary Ann Ludwig, Edwardsville, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- To assemble, place 1/4 teaspoon apricot jam in the center of a cookie; top with another cookie, making sure all star points are visible. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Repeat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Snow Flurries in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p77
Reviews for Snow Flurries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review