- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Snickerdoodles(70)
Sort By :
These were a huge success when I baked them for a church gathering. Simple to make, though a bit time consuming, but every bit worth the effort. People just loved them, and have asked me to bring them on more than one occasion!
they were very good and easy to make
These are just like my Nana used to make, it's officially the Christmas season in my house when I finish making a batch of snickerdoodles. They are my favorite cookie & yes, they are flat- not rounded like the picture. This is the same recipe as my Betty Crocker cookie book from 1963 with one change...they use half margarine & half butter. My hints for a perfect batch are: chill the batter before rolling into balls, buy a cookie scoop that makes one inch portions and for taste..use the good cinnamon, not the dollar store variety. I bought penzeys extra fancy cinnamon which is sweet on its own...wowee! So good with coffee or tea...I'm having one right now...mmm...crisp, light & cinnamony!
I have found that butter does not work in snickerdoodles. Apparently the butter these days has more water added. What does work for these cookies is butter-flavored shortening. Makes them perfect!
These cookies were awful!!! The baking and instructions were fine, but they have a weird flavor, like sweet but not in the right way. The taste of flour was also prominent. I would not recommend these nor will I be making them again. Save yourself the hassle and find a different recipe!