The history of this whimsically named treat is widely disputed, but the popularity of this classic cinnamon-sugar-coated cookie is undeniable! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
30 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of
- tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. In a
- small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in.
- apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes
- or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 81 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.