- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually beat into to creamed mixture. In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Snickerdoodles
"These are AMAZING! By far, the best snickerdoodles I have ever made. They are delicious, sweet, and soft. Perfect!"
"I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. They stay soft and are great tasting. Until now only been able to find the recipe for the ones that flatten out. Thank you taste of home!"
"Having baked for 50 years I can probably give you the reason why some of you are getting ball cookies while others of you are getting flatter cookies--altitude. Unless you adjust the cookie for altitude, the higher the altitude the more they will flatten out. If you want round cookies, bake at the altitude where the picture was taken, or adjust your recipe.About the butter. Unfortunately I have been noticing that many butter companies are cheating in theirbutter production--adding water or milk to the cubed butter. (If you want to check your butter, put it in the microwave. If it pops all over, it has water added, if it melts without popping, the company is honest. Costco has started adding water or milk to their cubbed butter and it makes a mess of my microwave. ) I have found that if you buy the butter in bricks rather than cubes, it seems fine--bricks are usually for baking so they don't seem to cheat on that (Costco's brick butter is currently fine)."
"Tender and good. Easy recipe, best result of Snickerdoodles recipe that I've tried."
"Great recipe, easy to make. Coloured each in a specific colour (red/green/white) and they looked beautiful!Flavour: 9/10Texture: 9/10 (not hard like sugar cookies)Overall: will be making again."