"This recipe I adapted from an old Italian cookbook offers a flavorful taste of my roots," says Brett Russo of Walterboro, South Carolina. "My family loves it with garlic bread,"
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 16 large pitted ripe olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti
- 1 pound red snapper or grouper fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the eggplant, green pepper, olives, parsley, basil, salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Add fish to eggplant mixture; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain spaghetti; serve with fish mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Snappy Eggplant Spaghetti in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p59
Reviews for Snappy Eggplant Spaghetti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review