Snappy Barbecue Beef Sandwiches Recipe
Meet the Cook: My husband and I do a lot of one-pot cooking (he taught me to cook after we were married!). The beef in these sandwiches is like an oven stew, but we'll often prepare it in a slow cooker - putting it on in the morning so we can just dish it up when we get home from work. Jerry is a rural mail carrier, and I am a nurse (this recipe came from one of the cookbooks that our hospital employees regularly compile). We have two grown sons...both of whom cook! -Patricia Throlson, Clear Lake, Minnesota.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 5 hours YIELD:24 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Italian rolls or sandwich buns, split
- 1. Place beef in a Dutch oven. Combine all remaining ingredients except the rolls; pour over beef.
- 2. Cover and bake at 350° for 5 hours, turning beef occasionally. Shred beef with a fork. Serve on rolls or buns. Yield: about 24 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 158 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 366 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC