- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoncini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sliced deli smoked turkey
- 1 pound sliced deli ham
- 3/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 pretzel sticks or toothpicks
- 2 pickle slices
- 2 ripe olive slices
- Thaw dough according to package directions. Roll dough from each loaf into a 2-in.-thick log, shaping one end of one log to resemble a snake head and one end of the second log to resemble a rattle.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets, curving slightly to resemble a snake. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush dough with melted butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut a roasted pepper into a 3-in.-long strip to make a snake tongue; set aside. Finely chop remaining peppers and place in a bowl; stir in mayonnaise, pepperoncini and garlic.
- On a large cutting board, trim off the plain end of each loaf, leaving head and rattle ends intact. Cut each loaf horizontally in half. Connect bottom halves to make a snake; layer with meat, cheese, tomatoes and 4 cups sliced lettuce. Spread top halves with 1 cup sauce; place over lettuce. Insert snake tongue.
- For grass, arrange remaining lettuce around sandwich. Insert pretzel sticks to attach pickle slices and olives for eyes. Using a serrated knife, cut sandwich into 20 slices; serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews forSnakewich with Venom Sauce
"I love this so easy to make and just adorable - and love that you can use your own meat and cheese choices"