Wondering what to do with chicken tonight? This mildly sweet and savory recipe makes chicken dinner a winner! —Sally Nielsen, Quincy, IL
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
- Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet until tender. Stir in the teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and ginger; heat through. Remove and keep warm.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Cook chicken in remaining oil in the same skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
Top with mushroom mixture and cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool chicken and mushroom sauce. Place in freezer containers and top with mushroom sauce. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Slowly heat chicken through in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Top with cheese and proceed as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smothered Teriyaki Chicken Breasts in Simple & Delicious April/May 2013, p28
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Smothered Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review