Smothered Pork Chops
Smothered Pork Chops shared by Simone Greene of Winchester, Virginia can be prepared in a flash using convenient stuffing mix. But they boast a delicious from-scratch flavor and will fill your house with the mouthwatering aroma of simmering apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.
“It’s a dish my Mom used to make when I was still living at home,” Simone recalls. “The sweetness of the apple mixture makes
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken stuffing mix
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- large skillet, cook pork chops in butter over medium heat for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the apples, brown sugar, water and salt. Top with meat with
- stuffing; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in
- the meat reads 145°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.