- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions in oil for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mustard, garlic, thyme, oregano and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Place each patty on a slice of toast; top with cheese, onions and remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smothered Onion Patty Melts in Country Woman May/June 2006, p44
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Smothered Onion Patty Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2011
"A nice change from a regular burger! The whole family enjoyed them!"