- 2 slices bread, torn
- 1-1/4 cups milk, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- In a bowl, soak bread in 1/4 cup of milk for 2 minutes. Add eggs, seasonings and onion; mix well. Stir in beef; shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain, Combine soup and the remaining milk; pour over meatballs. Stir until the sauce is heated.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Meatballs
Sort By :
"These are simply astounding. I only make one small alteration: I add a small can of mushrooms to the gravy before baking . This step is far from necessary, I just happen to like the additional mushrooms. I also recommend serving them over egg noodles. The gravy makes an excellent sauce and adding a bit or freshly chopped parsley and grated Romano/ Parmesan really tops it all off."
"This is a family pleasing dish. Have had it (and loved it) since I was a child, but that recipe called for a cup of hamburger bun crumbs rather than sliced bread. If the meat mixture is cold, the meat balls are a little easier to form and stay in a ball shapen better."
"Definitely a keeper! Reminded me of meatballs my mom used to make while I was growing up. The meat was very moist so it was hard to make it into balls but I managed. Turned out delicious so I wouldn't change a thing. Served the gravy on my mashed potatoes too. Yummy!"
"easy and very tasty, made some to freeze for other recipes-my favorite now"
"I misread the directions and put all of the 1 1/4 cup of milk in the meatball mixture. I wonder if some of the other reviewers did the same? Anyway, they had an awesome, down-home flavor, and are a great comfort food. I served them with brown rice tonight. I did add a dash of dijon mustard and worchestershire sauce to the soup mix just for a kick. It was delicious and will definitely make this again."