Smothered Home-Style Chicken Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In same skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in soup and broth.
- 3. Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 chicken thigh with 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without rice) equals 341 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 905 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Smothered Home-Style Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.