Smothered Home-Style Chicken Recipe
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in soup and broth.
- Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smothered Home-Style Chicken(5)
Sort By :
This stuff is sooooo good just as written! If you don't like spice, you'll want to cut back on the Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Don't change a thing for me though.
Very good. Hubby and I had no problem with this. I did use a red pepper instead of a green one and added some chopped celery along with the rest of the veggies. Thanks for the recipe.
The wine and Cajun seasoning combine to make a very flavorful dish. I had to cook it longer because I used bone-in skinless chicken thighs. It makes plenty of delicious white sauce so be sure to use a deep enough skillet.
This was fairly quick and had great flavor.
This is one of the best things I've ever made! The sauce was so flavorful and delicious ... I could have eaten the whole skillet by myself! I made this with chicken breasts because I don't care for dark meat, and it turned out wonderful. Definitely recommend using the white wine instead of the chicken broth substitution. It really enhanced the flavor of the dish.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >