- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in soup and broth.
- Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smothered Home-Style Chicken
"I made this for dinner tonight and we cleaned our plates. It is easy to prepare. I followed the recipe except I used baby carrots and chicken broth since I didn't have any white wine on hand. It is going into my T&T (tried and true) file and we will be having this delicious meal again. I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."
"Made just as written...we loved it, even picky autistic son who reads recipes while I'm making them and sometimes states that he won't eat what I'm making because there's an ingredient in it he doesn't care for or is unfamiliar with. ( I'll often memorize recipes so he can't read them!) In this case it was onion, but he tasted the finished product and had two large servings! quick and easy....we'll be having this again."
"Had a lot of flavor. I liked that it had veggies and I also put a little celery in."
"Thumbs up from every one of my family...even a picky chicken eater! I added mushrooms too."
"I made this for dinner tonight, it was a winner! The only changes I made were that I used red bell peppers and vegetable broth. Turned out so good."
"This stuff is sooooo good just as written! If you don't like spice, you'll want to cut back on the Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Don't change a thing for me though."
"Very good. Hubby and I had no problem with this. I did use a red pepper instead of a green one and added some chopped celery along with the rest of the veggies. Thanks for the recipe."
"The wine and Cajun seasoning combine to make a very flavorful dish. I had to cook it longer because I used bone-in skinless chicken thighs. It makes plenty of delicious white sauce so be sure to use a deep enough skillet."
"This was fairly quick and had great flavor."