- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Add chicken thighs, one at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, saute carrots, onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in soup and broth.
- Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smothered Home-Style Chicken
Sort By :
"Made this for dinner tonight. The only thing I changed was I didn't add any green pepper. But only because I didn't have any. But it was delicious and I'll definitely make it again. I also used chicken broth when I made the rice."
"Had a lot of flavor. I liked that it had veggies and I also put a little celery in."
"Thumbs up from every one of my family...even a picky chicken eater! I added mushrooms too."
"I made this for dinner tonight, it was a winner! The only changes I made were that I used red bell peppers and vegetable broth. Turned out so good."
"This stuff is sooooo good just as written! If you don't like spice, you'll want to cut back on the Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Don't change a thing for me though."