- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup each chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, in oil until well browned. Remove from skillet; set aside and keep warm. Add onion and peppers to drippings; saute until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, remaining salt and pepper, ginger and chicken broth until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smothered Ginger Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p53
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smothered Ginger Chicken(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review