- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; rub over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese and remaining salt and pepper; spoon over chicken. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Italiano
Sort By :
"Very good, yet simple to make. I'm making this again this evening."
"It was awesome I tweeked it a little with extra seasoning's My whole family loved it!"
"Cooked exactly the way the recipe called for it. Chicken was tough and the flavor was bland. I think it would have tasted better if I would have used the italian seasoned tomatoes. My family was not crazy about this and neither was I."
"The recipe was great. I like being able to just follow the recipe and have an excellent end result."
"i make this dish quite often but i substitute the tomatoes with spaghetti sauce. Also instead of buying all the different cheeses separately I buy a shredded Italian Cheese blend. Its much quicker and quite tasty!"