From Miami, Florida, Mary Kretschmer writes, “This is one of my husband’s favorites and has become an ‘old reliable’ to serve dinner guests. It’s impressive and tasty but so easy to prepare.“
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; rub over chicken. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese and remaining salt and pepper; spoon over chicken. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Top with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smothered Chicken Italiano in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p54
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Italiano
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review