- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts
"My family loved it, including my husband, who is not a fan of chicken or onions. I used turkey bacon and served with rice. I added water to the brown sugar and onions to make a sauce and will double next time. Definitely a keeper!"
"Hi Mgooch,That 1/4 c. brown sugar is divided evenly over the four chicken breasts.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine"
"How do you figure one serving of this only has 16g of sugar when 1/4 c. brown sugar has over 50g?"
"Amazing flavor! My husband & I both loved it! It's a keeper!"
"My wife made this for dinner tonight and it was a big hit with our family. She just didnt add the chesse because my husband can't have cheese and it was still delicious. We will make again for sure."
"I didn't think this would have much flavor, but I was very happy with the end results. I did pound out the chicken before cooking just to speed up the cooking time. I cut down on the sugar as other viewers suggested, but will not do it again. I think the brown sugar is what made this so good. My kids loved it! I will definitely be making this again!"
"Delicious! We liked it and make variations which are all good. We modified steps so it all came out warm."
"my family loved this. will make again."
"This is one of the best recipes I have ever made! Everyone enjoyed it and cleaned their plate. I will say your chicken breasts won't cook in 7 minutes on each side. I flattened mine for more even cooking but they still took 30 minutes or more. When I figured they were taking a long time, I cooked the bacon separately, otherwise dinner would have been really late. Once the chicken was done I put some bacon grease in the chicken pan and cooked the onions. I added a bit of chicken broth to the pan to deglaze and I had a bit of a really nice gravy that was totally unexpected.I also worried that cooking everything in the order that the chicken would get cold. I agree the steps should be reversed. Cook the bacon, then onions, then chicken and I suggest adding the onions back to the pan with the chicken to warm them before serving. That way, everything is hot and the cheese will melt. This will definitely be made again in our house!"
"OHHH so good!"