- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts
"My husband and son both agreed it was the best chicken they have ever had!!!!"
"My family loved this recipe even my son who hates onions! But I substituted garlic powder for the lemon pepper ( didn't like the lemon pepper!)"
"Anything with bacon is delicious!"
"My family loved it, including my husband, who is not a fan of chicken or onions. I used turkey bacon and served with rice. I added water to the brown sugar and onions to make a sauce and will double next time. Definitely a keeper!"
"Hi Mgooch,That 1/4 c. brown sugar is divided evenly over the four chicken breasts.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine"
"How do you figure one serving of this only has 16g of sugar when 1/4 c. brown sugar has over 50g?"
"Amazing flavor! My husband & I both loved it! It's a keeper!"
"My wife made this for dinner tonight and it was a big hit with our family. She just didnt add the chesse because my husband can't have cheese and it was still delicious. We will make again for sure."
"I didn't think this would have much flavor, but I was very happy with the end results. I did pound out the chicken before cooking just to speed up the cooking time. I cut down on the sugar as other viewers suggested, but will not do it again. I think the brown sugar is what made this so good. My kids loved it! I will definitely be making this again!"