- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken until a thermometer reads 165°, 6-8 minutes per side. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan.
- In drippings, saute onion with brown sugar over medium heat until tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with onion mixture and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts
"The chicken was very moist and the combination of bacon, carmelized onions, and cheese was delicious!"
"There isn't anything to change with this recipe. One of the best! Thank you Brenda for sharing."
"This was so easy and delicious. It was something I would never think of to make. I think next time the only thing I may do is toss the skillet in the oven to melt the cheese more :)"
"My husband and son both agreed it was the best chicken they have ever had!!!!"
"My family loved this recipe even my son who hates onions! But I substituted garlic powder for the lemon pepper ( didn't like the lemon pepper!)"
"Anything with bacon is delicious!"
"My family loved it, including my husband, who is not a fan of chicken or onions. I used turkey bacon and served with rice. I added water to the brown sugar and onions to make a sauce and will double next time. Definitely a keeper!"
"Hi Mgooch,That 1/4 c. brown sugar is divided evenly over the four chicken breasts.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine"
"How do you figure one serving of this only has 16g of sugar when 1/4 c. brown sugar has over 50g?"