- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken Breasts
Sort By :
"This was a delicious way to fix chicken. I cut a thick chicken breast in half vertifcally and used one slice of bacon for each half breast. I also used mozzarella cheese instead of Colby-Monterey."
"Delicious!! The whole family loves it. I add a little honey mustard to the caramelized onions and its a wonderful addition!"
"The sweetness of the brown sugar onions with the bacon and cheese is the perfect combination! Had dinner done in 20 minutes! Perfect for the low carb lovers and the picky eaters!"
"Turned out amazing! I put it all under the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese before serving."
"This dish has the right amount of sweetness with the brown sugar. My husband says he has never had anything like it but loves it. I will unquestionably be making this again. I did cut this recipe in half and also cut down on the bacon to only 2 slices but chopped it up."