Smothered Chicken Breasts
After trying this delicious chicken dish in a restaurant, I decided to recreate it at home. Topped with bacon, caramelized onions and zippy shredded cheese, it comes together in no time with ingredients I usually have on hand. Plus, it cooks in one skillet, so it’s a cinch to clean up! –Brenda Carpenter, Warrensburg, Missouri
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook
- chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer
- reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2
- tablespoons drippings.
- In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and
- golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half;
- top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 445 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 619 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.