Smothered Chicken Breasts Recipe
After trying this delicious chicken dish in a restaurant, I decided to recreate it at home. Topped with bacon, caramelized onions and zippy shredded cheese, it comes together in no time with ingredients I usually have on hand. Plus, it cooks in one skillet, so it’s a cinch to clean up! —Brenda Carpenter, Warrensburg, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°; remove and keep warm.
- 2. In same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 3. In drippings, saute onion and brown sugar until onion is tender and golden brown. Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with caramelized onions and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 445 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 619 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC