Smooth Carrot Soup
Robyn Larabee’s bright and creamy carrot soup is her young son’s very favorite. “He requests it often,” she writes from Lucknow, Ontario. “I like that it’s fast, easy and makes a perfect amount for the two of us when my husband is away at work.”
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- In a small saucepan, saute carrots and onion in butter until
- crisp-tender. Add broth and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Stir in buttermilk; heat
- through (do not boil). Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-sodium broth) equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.