- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 3 smoked ham hocks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add ham hocks. Stir in onion, broth, water and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat from bones when cool enough to handle; cut ham into small pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Smoky White Beans & Ham
"I really liked the flavor of this recipe and it made a lot! My only negative was that I thought it was very salty even though I used the reduced sodium chicken broth. Perhaps that was from the ham hocks. Adding some diced potatoes would maybe counteract the saltiness. The recipe was very easy to make and the house smelled wonderful while it was cooking!"