Smoky Shrimp with Creamy Grits
Chipotle peppers and fire-roasted tomatoes give this dish a smoky, spicy flavor, which is nicely balanced by the creamy grits. The addition of shrimp makes a special, holiday side.Redraspberrygirl, Taste of Home Online Community
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, corn and salt to a boil. Slowly
- stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until
- thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in onions and cream cheese.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add
- shrimp; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, seafood seasoning and chipotle pepper; heat
- through. Serve with grits. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits equals 334 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 1,110 mg sodium,