Smoky Sausage & Apple Pizza Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, divided
- Dash salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 cups chopped beet greens or fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 2 fully cooked apple chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice (3 ounces each), sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Stir in the water, oil and honey; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining whole wheat flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, 2 teaspoons vinegar, 1 teaspoon syrup, salt and cayenne in oil until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the sage, mustard and remaining vinegar and syrup.
- 4. Grease a 12-in. pizza pan; sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll out dough to fit prepared pan; prick thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 450° for 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 5. Arrange the onion mixture, beet greens, apple, sausages and cheese over top. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
2 slices equals 388 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Smoky Sausage & Apple Pizza
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.