- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Unfold puff pastry; cut into 1-in. squares. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Whisk egg and water; brush over squares. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sherry and Liquid Smoke if desired; stir in pecans and onion.
- Split each square horizontally; spread with 3/4 teaspoon cream cheese mixture. Replace tops. Yield: 81 appetizers.
Reviews for Smoky Pecan Puffs
"Have made these twice now. They are perfect for a function where there are lots of desserts and you want an alternative that isn't sweet."
"I gave this a 4 star since I modified it somewhat. I didn't have sherry, so I used brandy and I did not use the poppy seeds. I did use the liquid smoke. These were excellent and got raves at a party where there were many young (20's) people. Will definitely make again!"
"These were a nice complement to the smoked salmon I served for brunch on Christmas day. However, if I make them again I would add more liquid smoke, or better yet, I would chop up some smoked lox and stir them into the cream cheese mixture. But, they were fun and easy to make, and looked fancy on our plates."
"Made this at Christmas. It was a hit. They are so addicting! You just pop em in your mouth. Very easy to make. Gonna make em again today for a wine tasting party."
"These were very tasty! I used red wine instead of sherry and would say the liquid smoke is a must. They are very time consuming, 81 little tiny puffs take some patience to make. Next time I will try making them bigger"