"Our two grandsons love macaroni and cheese," writes Perlene Hoekema of Lynden, Washington. "When they're hungry, I can have this tasty variation - with little sausages that are just their size - ready in about 20 minutes."
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) miniature smoked sausage links
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- In a nonstick skillet, saute red pepper and onion until tender.
- Combine soup and milk; stir into skillet. Add sausage, cheese and
- peas. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until the
- cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Add the macaroni; cook 5-10
- minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 407 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 1,244 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.