- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, mustard and coffee in hot water. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke if desired. Reserve 1 cup for basting; refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack with oil. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat, for 30 minutes, turning and basting with sauce frequently. Grill, covered, 15 minutes longer, turning and basting occasionally or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smoky Grilled Chicken
"Directions are a bit confusing. This makes a lot of sauce. My take on the directions is make the sauce to use some as a marinate and some to baste chicken while grilling. I filled a jar with more than half . The rest I marinated the chicken overnight. Excellent flavor. The sauce can be used on any meat you grill or BBQ!"
"This was great! Definitely had a distinctive "smoky" taste! So good!"
"Finger-lickin' good is not an overstatement! I caught my husband dipping his finger in the sauce and licking them. It's that good! Thank you for sharing!"
"This is the best Chicken ever!! Friends and family love it, and it's so easy! The sauce is great, use it for other barbecue. This chicken will impress any guests!"