Smoky Grilled Chicken
Instant coffee is the "secret" ingredient in this sweet and spicy sauce. Don't be surprised when folks tell you this is the best chicken they've ever had! —Kathy Whipple, Twin Falls, Idaho
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Grill: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, mustard and coffee in hot water.
- Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke if desired.
- Reserve 1 cup for basting; refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs,
- lightly coat the grill rack with oil. Grill chicken, covered, over
- medium heat, for 30 minutes, turning and basing with sauce
- frequently. Grill, covered, 15 minutes longer, turning and basting
- occasionally or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (14 ounces) equals 516 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 50 g protein.